The remains of Knaresborough Castle stand with commanding views over the River Nidd and the Knaresborough viaduct. It's a pleasant place to sit and relax and enjoy fish and chips from the town.
Only the Castle Keep and part of gates still exist. Tors are available during the summer months which include the dungeons, the keep and a secret underground escape route. The order was given to destroy the castle in 1648 and much of the stone was pillaged and used in buildings around the town.
Visiting Knaresboough Castle
The Castle guided Tours have ended for 2014, it will re-open in 2015
Car parking and toilets are available nearby.
The footpaths around the castle are wide and level. Inside the castle is uneven and including uneven steps.